The Ronald McDonald House has been Alpha Delta Pi's official philanthropy since 1979. Here is a quick refresher on just how amazing this charity is.
- Ronald McDonald House provides low cost housing near hospitals for families of very sick children. Transportation, meals, and support are also provided. This makes it possible for families to be near their children throughout treatment, which can be a long and painful process.
- One night at the House costs about $25 (according to their official website). For families who live too far from hospitals to commute and who are struggling with medical expenses, this can save an incredible amount of money when you consider the cost of hotels.
- The average stay at a House is nine nights, but can be much longer.
- No family is ever turned away for lack of funds.
- Pop-can tab collection has raised $4 million - keep saving those pop can tabs, ladies!
- The charity was started by Philadelphia Eagles player Fred Hill, whose daughter Kim had leukemia, in 1974. Philadelphia area McDonald's restaurants donated the proceeds from Shamrock Shake sales in order to fund the opening of the first House - hence the name Ronald McDonald House. Now, McDonald's covers most operating expenses of the Houses and some fundraising, and also provides grants to groups that directly improve the health of children.
- Worth Magazine named Ronald McDonald House one of America's 100 Best Charities
- Alpha Delta Pi has contributed over $2 million to Ronald McDonald House Charities!
It is exciting for Alpha Delta Pi to be tied to such a worthwhile charity. Right now, you can log on to http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities/ to find volunteer opportunities near you. If you can, spend some time this summer volunteering for this incredible organization!
For more information check out their official website: www.rmhc.org